Vitamin C is perhaps the most well-known of all vitamins. It is important for a multitude of metabolic functions, such as tissue growth and repair, healthy gums and teeth. Vitamin C also acts as an antioxidant and strengthens the immune system. As important as vitamin C is, there are ways to enhance and improve the functioning of this nutrient in the body.
Making Vitamin C even better: Red Bioflavonoids
Calcium ascorbate is a buffered form of vitamin C, known to be less acidic and more easily tolerated by those sensitive to vitamin C supplements made with ascorbic acid. The addition of red bioflavonoids to this equation creates a truly unique and potent combination for vitamin C supplementation.
A common myth exists regarding the antioxidant properties of vitamin C. The vitamin indeed delivers antioxidant protection, but this protection is modest relative to other molecules in nature. The principal basis for consuming supplemental vitamin C is to ensure adequacy of the vitamin, such that it can function as a vitamin within the body. When vitamin C is required to act as an antioxidant, it is “consumed” by such processes, making it unavailable to perform its intended biological functions; development of cartilage/bone/ teeth, vascular integrity, wound healing, endogenous carnitine synthesis, metabolism of the amino acid tyrosine, synthesis of various neurotransmitters, and cholesterol degradation, just to name a few.
Enter red bioflavonoids. The most powerful antioxidant nutrients known are derived from fruits; specifically berries; and more specifically, from dark (red, purple) berries. Concentrates of red bioflavonoids deliver an unparalleled level of antioxidant protection and has been clinically researched in humans for treatment of a variety of malignant diseases, as well as for advanced vascular disease.
Calcium ascorbate delivers a bioavailable form of vitamin C together with an absorbable form of calcium. Red bioflavonoids offer powerful antioxidant protection, freeing calcium ascorbate from its role as an antioxidant, thereby allowing the vitamin to perform its functions as a facilitator of essential metabolic processes. Combining red bioflavonoids with calcium ascorbate will ensure you get the most out of your vitamin C supplement.
Resveratrol: This “red wine antioxidant” is getting attention for health and longevity benefits
What could be more enjoyable than a candle-lit gourmet dinner with a glass of red wine? Indeed, the rich taste of red wine and its relaxing effects can be pleasing, but science is now confirming that the best thing about red wine may be its potential for our health, thanks to resveratrol – the “red wine antioxidant”. Resveratrol is an immune agent naturally found in grapes, produced to defend the plant against bacteria and fungi. Red wine contains resveratrol via the grape skins used in its making. Resveratrol first gained attention as the answer to the “French Paradox”, the mystery of how the French population maintains such a low incidence of cardiovascular disease despite a diet high in saturated fats. Recent in vitro and animal studies continue to reveal more of resveratrol’s health benefits:
- Resveratrol has shown potential for increasing lifespan1
- Resveratrol is shown to increase blood flow to the brain by 30%, helping to reduce the risk of strokes3
- Resveratrol may slow the effects of aging on the brain, increasing cognitive functioning4
- Must one consume red wine to get the benefits of resveratrol? No. There are nutritional supplements available containing concentrated amounts of resveratrol, often higher than the amount found in red wine. As well, taking resveratrol without alcohol is even healthier, as alcohol, despite some cardiovascular benefits, does have its own health risks. So whether you are sipping your favorite red or taking a nutritional supplement – resveratrol is a nutrient with tremendous health potential.
Health First® Berry-C Supreme®: More than just a Vitamin C
- Supreme C: Made with the buffered vitamin C source calcium ascorbate which is easily absorbed, and easy on the stomach (non-acidic) and a good source of calcium.
- Supreme Antioxidant Support: Two capsules of Berry-C Supreme contain 12 mg of resveratrol equivalent to a litre of a typical red wine.
- Supreme Absorption:Contains 5 mg of Bioperine® black pepper extract for increased vitamin C absorption. Studies indicate a 40% increase in C absorption when taken together with the cellular thermonutrient Bioperine®.